To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Inductive Visual Miner (IvM) - some questions

X_Fate
edited February 2015 in - Usage

Hey,

I've got some questions concerning the use of the IvM. I've successfully mined the following model from my log:

http://images.devs-on.net/Image/HDGAwcdBskT48nLQ-Bereich.png

My problem is: I don't know how to interpret the small white circles in this model.

Furthermore I've got this question:
Did I understand it right that the "+" is a sign that two or more activities are executed parallel?

Thanks in advance. 

Answers

• The "+" sign is indeed an and split, i.e. the following paths are to be executed in parallel.

Regarding the white circles I'm also struggling to understand all of them Some of them are obvious that they are needed but as appears in your attached image, some of the circles in the top path should be possible to remove. Or?

• The small white circles are routing constructs, i.e. they denote choice. In Petri net notation, they would correspond to places. Intuitively, if you follow the edges, you can safely ignore them.

@fordanic: in the top path, they are indeed redundant and could be removed. It's on my list to fix at some point ;)

The + is indeed a parallel split (or join).

Sander Leemans
    Assistant Processor (Lecturer) at Queensland University of Technology
    Author of the visual Miner and Inductive Miner