To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Error using "Convert CSV to XES" plugin

JvdW
edited May 2016 in - Usage
Hi all,

I am using the convert CSV to XES plugin to convert a big(15,3GB) csv file of an event log to XES.
When running the conversion I get the following error (Pasted with some context):
Pre-sorting finished segment 331 ...
Sorting finished round 1/4 ...
Sorting finished round 2/4 ...
Finished sorting in 1471 seconds
Reading cases ...
java.lang.NullPointerException

When running ProM from the .bin the console gives me the following feedback:

-------- The following exception was logged by the framework:
         The exception was probalby handled properly.
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.get(Unknown Source)
        at org.processmining.framework.plugin.ProMFuture.get(ProMFuture.java:119)
        at org.processmining.framework.plugin.impl.AbstractPluginDescriptor$1.done(AbstractPluginDescriptor.java:180)
        at org.processmining.framework.plugin.ProMFuture$1.done(ProMFuture.java:66)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
        at sun.swing.AccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.processmining.log.csvimport.handler.XESConversionHandlerImpl.assignAttribute(XESConversionHandlerImpl.java:246)
        at org.processmining.log.csvimport.handler.XESConversionHandlerImpl.assignLifecycleTransition(XESConversionHandlerImpl.java:250)
        at org.processmining.log.csvimport.handler.XESConversionHandlerImpl.startEvent(XESConversionHandlerImpl.java:158)
        at org.processmining.log.csvimport.CSVConversion.convertCSV(CSVConversion.java:294)
        at org.processmining.log.csvimport.CSVConversionPlugin.doConvertCSVToXes(CSVConversionPlugin.java:119)
        at org.processmining.log.csvimport.CSVConversionPlugin.convertCSVToXES(CSVConversionPlugin.java:76)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.processmining.framework.plugin.impl.PluginDescriptorImpl.execute(PluginDescriptorImpl.java:251)
        at org.processmining.framework.plugin.impl.AbstractPluginDescriptor$1.do
InBackground(AbstractPluginDescriptor.java:144)
        at org.processmining.framework.plugin.ProMFuture$1.doInBackground(ProMFuture.java:56)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone help me identify what the problem is?

Edit:
-I'm running prom 6.5.1.
-I read in another discussion on this plugin that I could try the nightly build. I can however not find a nightly build I can get to run.

Thanks in advance!

JvdW

Comments

• Hi JvdW,
    Could you please try out the nightly build (obtainable here http://www.promtools.org/doku.php?id=nightly) or ProMLite (http://www.promtools.org/prom6/downloads/prom-lite-installer.exe)?

The issue with the standard ProM releases (like 6.5, ..) is that we are not allowed to update packages (for reproducible experiments) and I know that there are some bugs in the CSV importer of 6.5 and 6.5.1. ProMLite will update itself from time to time, but it is limited to some standard plug-ins.

Another option would be to not use the "start timestamp" feature. Just deselect the "start timestamp column" and use the "complete timestamp column" instead. If I remember correctly this bug occured when only a start timestamp column without a complete timestamp column is selected.

I hope this helps.

• JvdW
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for your reply! I will try the different proposed solutions later today, i'll keep you posted.