To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Problems starting Prom6.4

ErikAbels
edited February 2015 in - Usage

I recently upgraded to Prom 6.4.1 but have problems launching it. I also did an upgrade to Java 1.8.31.

When I start prom I only get the big start screen for a second. Then it disappears.
When I start ProM641.jar it works.

Another problem is not all screens are properly visible. When I want to import a log, the selection of files only shows part of the filenames. Also when I want to click on the open or cancel button, the text in the button disappears. I am not sure if this is related to my launching problem.

Any hints are welcome,

Erik Jan Abels

Answers

• I've had similar problems, i.e. I needed to run ProM641.jar in order to start ProM. Also had some issues with screens not being visible as they should. After uninstalling ProM and updating to latest Java version and then installing ProM again everything works much better. Why? Don't know.

• Thanks Fordanic.

I already re-installed prom641 but did it again.

The problem remains.

I also see that running the prom641.bat gives an error (added pause in the bat file). It says: support was removed in 8.0.

When I delete -XX:MaxPermSize=256m is says could not enough space for 1048576KB object heap.

Only when I delete -Xmx1G -XX:Maxpermsize=256m from the .bat Prom641 will start.

I have no idea what the consequences are.

• So, the option -XX:Maxpermsize was something that was removed in Java 8 but including that shouldn't stop you from starting ProM. More likely it was related to the memory issue that you mentioned, i.e. -Xmx1G where you set the required memory to 1GB. When deleting -Xmx1G you probably go to a default that is probably 256MB or 512MB. You will still be able to run ProM but once you start working on larger event logs or process models you will get into trouble.

My suggestion, try to free up as much memory as possible before starting ProM so that you can set -Xmx to 1G or whatever that is needed for your project.

• Hi,

I am facing the same problem. No matter what, I cannot start ProM. I tried uninstall and re-install of Java as well as ProM but no sucess. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance !!

Regards,

Shital

• @Shital, what happens when you try to start ProM? How do you try to start it? Could you start it from the command prompt using the .bat file and post some of the output?

Thanks!

• I am using a Windows 8.1 system with 4 GB memory. I had Java 8 installed. I installed Prom641. In Dec 2014, I was using it for simple exercises meant for learning during my coursera course on "Process Mining -data science in action". After 3 months I enrolled in the course again, but unfortunately I find Prom to be not working now. I am unable to recall what is it I did last time that it worked and now it does not. 

The symptoms are as follows: The trolley image with version number comes on and after a few seconds vanishes with no error message. The trouble shooting section suggests only Mac owners will have a problem that needs Java version 7. However, some Win 8 users are also suggesting Prom does not work with Java 8 and claim after changing to Java 7, they are able to get it working.  

I have tried installing and reinstalling multiple times. Some how my recall is it worked earlier when it was installed in the user account of the admin. Now I am invoking it from another user account. I have also tried installing it different places. 

The trouble shooting section had 3 hints. In one it suggested the.bat file be modified to refer to java by the path. I have removed java 8, installed java 7, and given the path within parenthesis as suggested. Another suggestion was to make sure the memory size in the .ini file is within the system capacity. The default was at 1 GB. Since my sytem has 4 GB, I tried setting this to 2 GB. There was a third suggestion that I could not understand. 

The result is same. I am still in square 1. I can not believe the changes I did not are really necessary because it ran without any of these in Dec 2014. There must be some other catch. 

I suspected the location from which I downloaded prom641 may be corrupted. I found another location and installed once. That worked, but happened to be prom 6.4 and not 6.4.1. I did not do any of this path change / memory change etc for that. I removed 6.4, and installed 6.4.1 again. I am back with my problem again. 

Can any one point to some place where I can find installation issues related responses? 

• Dear Sowmyan,

The best location to download ProM from is promtools.org and/or processmining.org. As far as I know, these are not corrupted.

There are some more options to try:

1. Could you try starting ProM from the start menu? It could be that you copied the ProM link to the desktop which causes the working directory to be incorrect.

2. Start ProM from the command line such that any error messages are shown in the console. Please report them back here. (Given your detailed report, I assume you know how to run a bat file from the console)

Hope this helps!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology