To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

ProM doesn't allow to import any files

Karina
edited November 2011 in - Usage
Hello.

I am trying to import in ProM files (I have tried different file formats as pnml, xes), however it doesn't allow me to do that. I tried to install and launch ProM 6.1. When I click on Import, it gives me window for selecting the file, I select the file and then the window is closed and absolutely nothing happens. 

I also tried launching ProM with Eclipse and importing files and it gives me following error

Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.processmining.contexts.uitopia.hub.ProMResourceManager$8.compare(ProMResourceManager.java:419)
at org.processmining.contexts.uitopia.hub.ProMResourceManager$8.compare(ProMResourceManager.java:1)
at java.util.TreeMap.getEntryUsingComparator(Unknown Source)
at java.util.TreeMap.getEntry(Unknown Source)
at java.util.TreeMap.get(Unknown Source)
at org.processmining.contexts.uitopia.hub.ProMResourceManager.importResource(ProMResourceManager.java:315)
at org.deckfour.uitopia.ui.workspace.WorkspaceView$1$1.run(WorkspaceView.java:78)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am using Windows 7, 64 bit, java 1.7.0, Eclipse SDK 3.7.0.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me what the problem is.

Best regards,
Karina.

Best Answer

• JBuijs
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Karina,

Welcome on the forum!

I have also tried ProM 6.1 with Java 7 (or 1.7) and got the same error as you got.
    I have reported it as a bug (see https://svn.win.tue.nl/trac/prom/ticket/228)

In the mean time you could try to use Java 6 (you can set this in Eclipse in the run configuration for instance).

Please let me know if this works!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology

Answers

• Hi Joos,

Thank you very much for the answer. Using Java 6.1 worked for me.

Best regards,
    Karina.
  • I also have this problem and I have Java 6.1.  Do I need to use java 1.6 32 bit?  I think I have both 32bit and 64bit version of Java 1.6.   I install the exe version of Prom 6.1.  Does the exe suppose to work on Windows 7 64bit?

The Prom 6.0 on my computer works fine.
  • Hi Deen,

Using the 64bit version should not introduce problems in ProM 6.1 and allows you to use more memory. 64 bit is thus recommended if you have a 64 bit operating system.

You can specify which Java version to use when executing a program. If you have both Java 6 and 7 installed than it depends on this setting which one is used to execute the program. So please make sure, either in Eclipse or in the link to ProM if you run the installed version, that you use Java 6.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • I am pretty sure I have only Java 6 Installed. This is the problem I got.  Please see the video. http://screencast.com/t/1ZhlnpFxim4.  Do you notice any problem?

When I import I got a pop and need to select Import Plug-in.  But in Prom 6.0 the xes got imported just fine without any popup.

How do I specify the version of java when I run the ProM61.exe? 

• Hi Deen,

Could you please try to download and install the latest version of ProM 6.1?
    Joos Buijs

• Hi all,

i have the same problem like the problem of Karina. But i don't know how to launch ProM with Eclipse and to import files. could you please help me how to solve this problem whether with ProM or Eclipse?

i'm using Windows 7, 64 bits. eclipse sdk 3.7.0, java 1.7.0.

thanks in advance.
    Ramy
  • Joos,

I download the latest version of Prom 6.1 but still got the same problem.  XESame 1.1 works just fine.  

-- Deen
  • Hi Ramy,

If you're not running ProM from Eclipse but from the installation (.bat or .exe) then you can specify which Java version to use.

If you want to use Eclipse to start ProM then search this forum for hints and tips and directions to tutorials. (I just replied to a topic that contains some links).
    If you're using Eclipse then edit the run configuration for the project and be sure to select Java 1.6 and NOT java 1.7. There is a bug that prevents ProM to import log files when run using Java 1.7.
    Joos Buijs

• Hi Deen,

Please see the post I just made. The problem is not yet solved in ProM so you have to run ProM with Java 1.6 and NOT 1.7.
    Joos Buijs

• Hi Joos,

I don't have java 1.7 on my machine.  I do have JRE 1.6 both 32 and 64 and Java SDK 1.6 64 bit.  Should I just stick with 32 bit Java even though I use Windows 7 64-bit?  What will be the downside?  

-- Deen