To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Manual Package installation

fatcat
edited September 2011 in - Usage

Hi @ll,

is there any alternative to install the packages from the packages.xml per hand? The reason for this question is, that I'm behind a proxy and the package manager isn't allowed to download anything.

Greets
Stefan

Comments

• Hi Stefan,

You could download the contents (and referred package locations) and update the packages.xml file to point to your local package repository. You should do the following:
    - Download the packages you need manually (open the packages.xml pointed to from you prom.ini file for the location)
    - Create a localised version of the packages.xml pointing to the local location of these packages (remove the ones you don't need of course)
    - update the repository URL in prom.ini to point to your local packages.xml

I should warn you (and others) however that this is not recommended and/or supported!!!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

thanks a lot, this works.

Regards
    Stefan
  • Hi Joos,
    I just read your suggestion to fatcat to install the packages from the packages.xml per hand, but I don't understand the 3 step that you explanied. I am going to describe what I did in each step.
    Download the packages you need manually (open the packages.xml pointed to from you prom.ini file for the location)
    In this case I downloaded the next package AlphaMiner.jar and copy it inside a file I created instalados in C:\Users\admin\.ProM61\instalados
    In this directory there is a file named C:\Users\admin\.ProM61\packages and inside it is the archive packages.xml
    When I opened it this is what it has
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <packages>
      <repository url="http://www.promtools.org/prom6/packages61/packages.xml" />
      <installed-packages>
      </installed-packages>
    </packages>

Here is one of my problem I don't know what to write in there.
    My second problem is I don't know what to write in the archive prom.ini (these are the second and third steps)

# Specifies which package should be installed
    RELEASE_PACKAGE = AllPackages
    #
    # Specifies the URL to the default package repository
    # (default is "http://www.promtools.org/prom6/packages61/packages.xml")
    PACKAGE_URL = http://www.promtools.org/prom6/packages61/packages.xml
    #
    # Specifies whether ProM is Verbose
    # (possible: "ALL" / "ERROR" / "NONE", defaults to "ALL")
    VERBOSE = ERROR
    #
    # The library folder is relative to the prom installation
    # folder (default is "lib")
    LIB_FOLDER = lib
    #
    # The images folder is relative to the prom library
    # folder (default is "=images")
    IMAGES_FOLDER = images
    #
    # The macro folder is relative to the prom library
    # folder (default is "macros")
    MACRO_FOLDER = macros
    #
    # The prom user folder is NOT relative to the
    # prom installation folder. The (default is empty, in
    # which case the OS handles the location)
    PROM_USER_FOLDER =
    #
    # The package folder is relative to the
    # prom user folder. The (default is "packages")
    PACKAGE_FOLDER = packages
    #
    # The workspace folder is relative to the
    # prom user folder. The (default is "workspace")
    WORKSPACE_FOLDER = workspace
    #
    # Indicate whether or not ProM should serialize the
    # workspace. If switched off, the last serialized
    # workspace will be loaded on each start
    DO_SERIALIZATION = false

Please I need to undersatnd these steps to start to work with ProM 6.1 in my investigation.

Greets

Juan M.

• Hi Juan,

Unfortunately, as I said in my previous post, this is unsupported. I'm tempted to explain you how this works but solving the original problem (e.g. let the package manager download the packages) is the best solution in the end.
    So, please first check if you can get the package manager to download the packages. This could be a local firewall setting of something on a corporate level. Anyway, this is the best and supported way.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology