To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Is "Software Process Mining" different with "Process Mining"?

Mousavi
edited June 2011 in Process Mining
Dear Friends,
I have a biginner question. Is "Software Process Mining" different with "Process Mining"? If that's right, What is the difference of "Process Mining" and "Software Process Mining"?
I read some papers but I cant understand what is the the difference of them!
Please tell me if you know
Thanks alot
Mousavi

Comments

• Hi Mousavi,

Could you refer to some of the papers you read for clarification?

My first hunch is that 'software process mining' is process mining applied on software (development).
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos Buijs,
    I read
    1.  "Activity Mining for Discovering Software Process Models" ,authors :Ekkart Kindler, Vladimir Rubin, Wilhelm Sch¨afer"
    2. "Process Mining Framework for Software Processes" ,authors : Vladimir Rubin1,2, Christian W. G¨unther1, Wil M.P. van der Aalst1,Ekkart Kindler2, Boudewijn F. van Dongen1, and Wilhelm Sch¨afer2
    and some other papers on this subject from these authors
    They mentioned that the algorithm is specially for software processes , and because of that I am curious , Is "Software Process Mining" different with "Process Mining"?

• Well, in my opinion the 2nd paper you mentioned clearly explains what 'software process mining' is: applying process mining techniques to analyze the process of developing software. Using software repositories, communications, etc. etc.
    The following master thesis discusses an implementation of software process mining:http://www.frasr.org/downloads/2010-08-20_ThesisWouterPoncin.pdf
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • the process of developing software is a kind of process , and I think the algorithm of  software process mining can use as a process mining algorithm , or maybe it should change to use as a process mining algorithm.
    what is your idea?

• you know in the 2nd paper ,they mention that  the algorithm is specially for software processes ,I'm hesitated
  • I think that they developed a specific way of importing and combining the data to create a standard event log. Then they were able to apply existing process mining techniques/algorithms
    Joos Buijs

• Dear Joos Buijs,
    Thanks alot