To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Passing a array of XLogs as parameter

Hey all!

I had a quick question. I have a plugin that uses a parameter XLog[], an array of XLogs. I have another plugin that (succesfully) returns an XLog[] object. The problem is that ProM does not recognize the input as XLog[], instead it asks for a normal XLog.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Bram

Code:

public static String helloWorld(PluginContext context, XLog original_log, XLog[] sublogs) 

ProM:

Answers

• Hi Bram,

The difference between both will become evident when you assign logs to both slots:
    This image is from a different plug-in, but shows what I mean: The first log is the first parameter, a single log. The second log is the first of an array, which is indicated by the additional symbol. Selecting that symbol adds a slot for another element to that array. The third log is the second element of in the array.

Cheers,

Eric.

• BKnols
    edited November 2018
    Hi Eric,

First of all thanks for the quick and good answer! I tested it and it works as you explained.

I have one more question though :-) I have one plugin that returns a XLog[] array that I want to use in a second plugin. Is there a way to directly do so? I tried an ArrayList but ProM refuses them as parameters.

I could, of course, run the first plugin several times, each time creating a log I then put into the array of the second. This is quite a task however, so I was wondering if there is a automatic way.

Thanks again,

Bram
  • Hi Bram,

You cannot use generics in parameters of plug-ins, because the information is not available at run-time. For example, if you use ArrayList<XLog> as the type of a parameter, then at run-time Java will only know the ArrayList<?> part, the information that the array contained logs is lost. This is a Java thing.

A work-around is to create a class that extends ArrayList<XLog>, and to use that new class instead for the parameter.

You could also use the existing EventLogArray class from the Log package.

Cheers,

Eric.
  • Hey Eric,

The use of an EventLogArray worked out! Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Bram