To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

java.lang.NullPointerException with heuristic/fuzzy Miner

gSeb
edited June 2011 in - Usage
Hello,

being a new practitioner in process mining, I have been tried to mine a very simple log in ProM 6.

No issue with the alpha miner, which is working fine, but every time I try to use a more advanced miner (heuristic or fuzzy), I get a java.lang.NullPointerException.

I have attached the log (to be retyped as xes), perhaps it is an issue with the formatting.

Could someone help me on this ?

Comments

• Hi gSeb,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I looked at your event log and noticed that none of your events have a 'lifecycle:transition' attribute.
    Unfortunately, the Heuristics and Fuzzy miners quietly assume that this attribute is present.
    Adding this to every event solved the problem for me.

Please let me know if this works.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

thanks a lot for the very quick answer.
    I have not included the life-cycle classifier as all events are "complete" in my log, thus it was adding no value declare that, but adding it to the XES file solved my issue.

May I suggest to the developers to display more meaningful error messages ?

Anyway, thanks again

• Well, besides more meaningful error messages the plug-ins should not assume that data is present but test for it... But that is one of the major changes between MXML and XES: XES does not promise the presence of any attribute where in MXML you had a fixed set of attributes you could rely on.

Glad to hear it now works!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology