To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Using AlphaMiner from Java client

lcavallaro
edited July 2013 in - Development
I am new to ProM and I would like to use AlphaMiner from a Java client I am developing.
I was wondering if there is any available documentation, or any example, available on the topic.
Thanks.
Luca

2013-07-11 JBuijs: moved to correct category

Answers

• Dear 'lcavallaro',

Unfortunately there is no specific documentation for the AlphaMiner package for ProM 6
    (see a list of most documentation for ProM 6 plug-ins here: https://svn.win.tue.nl/trac/prom/browser/Documentation).

However, usually you can include the released package jar file and directly call the correct function.
    Unfortunately, the AlphaMiner heavily depends on the ProM context so you need to provide one.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Dear JBuijs,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I noticed the dependence from ProM context, and I was wondering what exactly it represents? How can I create or obtain one without using the rest of the framework?
    Thanks again.
    Luca.
  • Dear Luca,

The context is the plugin's access to the ProM Framework instance. It can access GUI parts (messaging, cancellation, progress, ...) but also object relations (called connections), the package manager (to call other plug-ins to do something).
    The last function is required by the Alpha miner: it calls for other plug-ins to build the dependency relations required by the Alpha miner.
    Therefore, currently, it is not possible to use it without the ProM framework. And, even if the Alpha miner would work, what would you do with the PetriNet object you get in return? You would need the ProM Framework to ask for a visualizer to show it in your Java code.

In short: really re-think the necessity for your code to be outside the ProM Framework. Everything would be way easier if you create a ProM package/plugin.

Good luck!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology