To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Problem with Cache DB

[Deleted User]
edited December 2011 in - XESame
Hi,

When click Execute Conversion button, I got this error in the Console

2011-11-10 16:09:02: (PROGRESS) Starting step 1 of 5: initialization.
2011-11-10 16:09:04: (ERROR) We could not instantiate a connection to our cache DB. We encountered the following error: Failed to create database 'cacheDB', see the next exception for details.
2011-11-10 16:09:04: (ERROR) There was an error in our SQL when trying to initialize the cache database.
2011-11-10 16:09:04: (ERROR) Failed to create database 'cacheDB', see the next exception for details.
2011-11-10 16:09:04: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! Just after initialization.
2011-11-10 16:09:04: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated

I tried to change location of cache db but wasn't successful.  

I think it may have something to do with my computer setting.  I use Junction folder on windows to point c:\user\username to d:\users\username.  I think java doesn't support this feature.  So it won't be able to navigate c:\users\username\documents.  

My question is, how can I get cache to work and change to location of the cache db?  Is the cache db created on the fly or it should have been created during Prom installation?

Thanks,
Deen

Answers

• Hi Deen,

This is caused by XESame trying to create the CacheDB in a location where it does not have the rights to. You could try to tell XESame to create the cacheDB directory outside the program files folder.

Please let me know if this works.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • I got the CacheDB fixed but I had another error.

2011-11-11 09:36:13: (PROGRESS) Mapping execution completed after 2 seconds, 404 milliseconds
    2011-11-11 09:37:11: (PROGRESS) Starting step 1 of 5: initialization.
    2011-11-11 09:37:12: (PROGRESS) Starting step 2 of 5: Extracting log info.
    2011-11-11 09:37:12: (DEBUG) We are about to run the following query to extract the items for Log: 
    SELECT 'Review Log' AS [concept_name], 'standard' AS [lifecycle_model], '' AS [General_Details], 'Deen Seth' AS [General_Details_author], NOW() AS [General_Details_generate_on] FROM changes AS changes  
    2011-11-11 09:37:12: (ERROR) There is an error in the query (turn on 'debug' mode to see it) to fetch the information for Log
    2011-11-11 09:37:12: (ERROR) ERROR: syntax error at or near "["
      Position: 24
    2011-11-11 09:37:12: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! Just after running the query.
    2011-11-11 09:37:12: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated

Could you let me know how to locate Position: 24?

Thanks,
    Deen
  • I figured out that position 24 is basically the position in the SQL statement.  It looks like the query 

SELECT 'Review Log' AS [concept_name], 'standard' AS [lifecycle_model], '' AS [General_Details], 'Deen Seth' AS [General_Details_author], NOW() AS [General_Details_generate_on] FROM changes AS changes  

cause an error.  I am wondering if this is depend on the type of the source database.  The thesis.mapping example that use csv through ODBC seems to work fine.

Joos, have you tested the XESame on other database beside ODBC?  Can you let me know if you think XESame will work in my case?  What database you are sure that XESame will work?

Thanks!
    Deen
  • Hi Deen,

I'm glad to hear that your cacheDB problems are solved.

Regarding your other error, yes I have tested XESame on other databases. Unfortunately, SQL and ODBC/JDBC are a standard without providing a real standard.
    Therefore, some database systems accept the '[' and ']' characters surrounding the renaming of tables in the 'AS' parts of the query. MS Access and all the Windows ODBC drivers accept this.
    If your database does not support this character, you can change this in the connection settings in XESame. For Oracle for instance I always clear the fields 'SQL Query Column Seperator' fields.

Please let me know if this works Deen.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thanks Joos,

I got it to work by removing [ ] and also fix some query syntax. I basically need to use value based on the PostgreSQL query syntax.  

When I saw the error from the console, I didn't understand what cause an error.  Now I know that it's SQL syntax error based on the source Database.

I think the error message for XESame could be improved.  Perhaps has something like, "Make sure the query syntax is valid for the source database"

Why do you need to have [ ] as column separator as default? The Access ODBC seems to work fine without [ ] around the extension key.
  • Hi Deen,

Good to hear that it works!

Sometimes I need the [] as column separators since users (/you) can add almost anything as attribute keys. Therefore, I need to make sure that the attribute key name does not brake the query.

The error provided by XESame is this general/vague on purpose since there are many types of errors that can occur. I can however add that sentence since in general this is one of the causes. Thank you for your suggestion!
    Joos Buijs

• Isham81
    edited December 2011
    I
    had
    this
    issue
    ,but
    it
    had been
    simply
    because
     I
    was
    trying
    to
    attach
    a
    data
    source
    that
    was
    big-endian on
    a
    little-endian program
    (
    or
    maybe the
    additional
    method
    around--doesn't
    truly
    issue.)
    I'm
    not
    particular
    this
    was
    the
    problem
    ,but
    it's
    the
    only real
    difference
    I
    can
    think
    about
    between
    the
    directories
    I
    was
    attempting
    to
    attach.
  • Deen,

Can you tell me how you fixed the CacheDB problem? I exactly receive the same error massages and also tried to change location of cache db but wasn't successful..

Thanks,

Rens
  • Hi everyone,
    I got the same problem about cacheDB. I tried to change the location and give it all the rights but still appear the console error:

2012-04-29 01:04:51: (PROGRESS) Starting step 1 of 5: initialization.
    2012-04-29 01:04:51: (ERROR) We could not instantiate a connection to our cache DB. We encountered the following error: Failed to create database 'cacheDB', see the next exception for details.
    2012-04-29 01:04:51: (ERROR) There was an error in our SQL when trying to initialize the cache database.
    2012-04-29 01:04:51: (ERROR) Failed to create database 'cacheDB', see the next exception for details.
    2012-04-29 01:04:51: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! Just after initialization.
    2012-04-29 01:04:51: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated

Can somebody help me please. What about you Rens? Did you fix it?
    Thanks! 
  • Problem Solved! 
    I don't know why if i gave all the rights to my user... but just run the XESame application as admin (windows).
  • Hi Nicogsch,

Thanks for sharing the tip with us.
    And I'm glad that you got is solved.
    Joos Buijs

• Well I reinstalled ProM on another location c instead of d drive I think (or vice versa) and the problem was solved.