To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Connection Error to Excel File

Rens
edited March 2012 in - XESame
Hi Joos,

We are trying to connect to an .xlsx file using the Windows ODBC driver. The name of the file is Test. So, in the conversion definition we defined the Log->Properties->From attribute as Test.xlsx. When we try to execute conversion, it gives the below error. What could be the reason for that?

2012-03-16 16:22:15: (PROGRESS) Starting step 1 of 5: initialization.
2012-03-16 16:22:17: (PROGRESS) Starting step 2 of 5: Extracting log info.
2012-03-16 16:22:17: (DEBUG) We are about to run the following query to extract the items for Log: 
SELECT 'test' AS [concept_name] FROM Test.xlsx  
2012-03-16 16:22:17: (ERROR) There is an error in the query (turn on 'debug' mode to see it) to fetch the information for Log
2012-03-16 16:22:17: (ERROR) [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object 'xlsx'.  Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.
2012-03-16 16:22:17: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! Just after running the query.
2012-03-16 16:22:19: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated

Thanks.

Rens

Answers

• Hi Rens,

I'm not an expert on ODBC connections to Excel but did you try to remove the xlsx part? Since the error says that it could not find the object xlsx, I'm assuming it could find 'table' but not 'xlsx' in it (which makes sense since its the extension).

If this does not help, you could try to use the name you gave to the ODBC connection as table name in the from.

If this also does not work, try to create a 'named range' and use that as some kind of table name.

Also, make sure that the connection itself works (by pressing the 'test connection' button in the connection settings tab).

Finally, I found the tool SquirrelSQL quite handy since it shows you the objects available in an ODBC connection. So, after you connect, you see exactly what's in there and what name it has.

Let me know if this worked!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology