To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

XESame support for semantics?

pcoder
edited August 2011 in - XESame
Hi,

XES standard supports semantics as an extension. My question is when we transform log datasources into XES using XESame, can we also specify ontologies for linking the domain concepts to the respective labels? Do I need to write in a separate custom application that introduces the semantic extension part to the log??

Thank you,
P Coder

Comments

• Hi P Coder,

The semantic attribute specified by the XES semantic extension references to an object in an ontology. It does so by specifying the object with a string.
    Therefore, in XESame, you can just provide a string reference to the object you need. Either 'static' (e.g. not depending on the data) or more or less derived from the data.

I hope this answers your question.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos, 
    Thank you for the reply.

But I am still not clear about it. I guess, my question above is unclear. I try to rewrite my question below.

I have the domain ontologies (in wsml) and I have the logs of my system. How do I combine them into XES?

Also, I find very limited documentation with XES. The only documents related to XES that I have are: 1. xes_standard_proposal.pdf (from the xes-standard.org), 2. Your Master's thesis. So, are there any other documents available on the web about XES?

Thank you,
    PCoder

• Hi PCoder,

As far as I know there are not much more documents about XES (there is the developer guide and Java doc for the OpenXES library from www.openxes.org).

I'm assuming that the semantic extension works in a similar way as the semantic attribute in SA-MXML.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

Thanks again for the reply.

As I understand the working of semantically annotated mxml, we need either the information system generate logs with reference to the domain ontologies OR change the logs in mxml to use the ontology references (Please correct me if I am wrong). 

So, do you mean we need the same way for XES?

Thank you,
    PCoder

• Hi PCoder,

I didn't try to use either SA-MXML or a semantically annotated XES file but I'm assuming the approach in XES would be similar as it was in SA-MXML.

Whether the event log contains the references from the beginning or if they are added later depends on when you have the information available.

Using XESame you could add the semantic annotations during event log generation, if you know them at that point in time. Otherwise you need to post-process your event log yourself (by hand or custom code) and add the required annotations.
    Joos Buijs