To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

How to solve garbled characters

Hello, if the "value" corresponding to "concept:name" in my event log is not in English, then I import it into ProM to run, and get a flow chart, but the event name of the flow chart is garbled, how can I solve it?

Comments

• Hi,

As far as I know, ProM supports UTF-8 characters. As long as your characters use the UTF-8 encoding, ProM should be able to show them properly.

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • thank you for your reply. The encoding method of my eclipse is UTF-8, and non-English characters can be displayed normally in some plug-ins, but they cannot be displayed normally under the inductive process mining plug-in:'(
  • HI,

Do you mean the inductive visual miner? I know that the inductive visual miner can handle special characters, like the latin alpha and omega. If it does not display your characters properly, I would not know how to solve it.

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • I'm sorry, could you please check if there is something wrong with my setting method? Is there something wrong with the way I'm setting UTF-8? I set it from eclipse-->windows-->preference, do I still need to use code in the program?
    Kind regards.
  • I tried Latin alpha and omega and French they can be displayed, but I tried Chinese and Japanese but they can't be displayed. I haven't figured out why yet.
  • Hi,

I know that the inductive visual miner uses an external tool called dot to do the layout of the model. Possibly, this tool messes up the characters.

You can test this as follows. Open your event log in ProM, and then use the inductive miner to discover a Petri net from your event log. Note that this is not the inductive visual miner, but the inductive miner ("Mine Petri net with Inductive Miner"). By default, ProM will use a visualizer for this net that is internal and does not use dot. Please check whether your characters display correctly here. Then, in the "Select visualization ..." dropdown list, select "Graphviz Petri net visualization". The visualization of the Petri net then uses dot for the layout. Again, please check whether your characters display correctly here. If the first visualization shows your special characters but the second does not, then it seems that dot cannot handle these characters properly.

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • Hello, I tried it and it can be displayed by default. After selecting Graphviz Petri net visualization, it cannot be displayed normally. It seems to be the problem of dot. Thank you very much for your answer.
    Kind regards.
  • So does heuristic mining also have a layout similar to dot? The graphs we mine with heuristics show that both Chinese and Japanese are □
    Kind regards.
  • Hi,

Note that the miner and the visualizer are orthogonal, and that ProM uses the visualizer that was used last. If you visualized the Petri net discovered by the inductive miner using dot, then the Petri net discovered by the heuristics miner will also be visualized using dot. For the latter Petri net, please use a differetn visualizer, preferrably one that does not use dot (graphviz).

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • thanks a lot!