To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Analyze the relationship between activities from the model

Hi,
I need to read the relationship between activities from the model. The paper[1]mentioned that Petri net can be transformed into behavior profile or process tree[2], but I haven't found the plug-in to transform Petri net into process tree. Is there any other method to analyze the relationship between activities from Petri net?
Thanks.
Ashley

[1] Weidlich, Matthias & Polyvyanyy, Artem & Mendling, Jan & Weske, Mathias. (2011). Causal Behavioural Profiles -- Efficient Computation, Applications, and Evaluation. Fundam. Inform.. 113. 399-435. 10.3233/FI-2011-614. 
[2] J. C. A. M. Buijs, B. F. van Dongen and W. M. P. van der Aalst, "A genetic algorithm for discovering process trees," 2012 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2012, pp. 1-8, doi: 10.1109/CEC.2012.6256458.

Comments

• Hi Ashley,

In general, it is not possible to convert a Petri net to a process tree without allowing for some relaxations. Possible relaxations include that the behavior may not match exactly (a best possible fit), or that multiple nodes in the process tree may refer to the same activity. I do not know [1] by heart, but thanks for the link.

The relationship you are looking for is at best problematic. Sometimes, the structure of the Petri net is simply not sufficient to decide on the behavioral profile. Examples exist of Petri nets that are live with one token in a place, but that are not live with two tokens in that same place.

Kind regards,
    Eric.