To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Setting time constraint on an event

Hi,

I have inserted a small section of a process model I have discovered using the process mining tool Disco which shows a part of a logistics process. I want to set time constraints on the event itself (for example, the arrival loading time should be 20 mins and the loading time should be 45 mins) and I want to find instances in the log that does not conform to this time constraint. I don't want to focus on the control-flow perspective but just the time that an event takes. How can I do this?

Comments

• Just to add- I want to be able to do the above-mentioned in ProM and not in Disco 
  • Hi Jennifer,

I don't think that you can do do that without writing a new plugin to do so. This is a very specific functionality, that has not been implemented yet (at least as far  know).

You can add a duration to an event using the "Add Time between events (Duration) as attribute to all Events" plugin, which adds the time difference of that event with the previous event in that trace as an attribute. Then you could filter out those events for which the duration has selected values. But that does not filter out the traces, only some events in those traces.

What information do you have available in the log? I guess you have start and complete events? Is it also known for a trace like <A+start,A+start,A+complete,A+complete> which start belongs to which complete? This is quite relevant I think in your case. If the first A+Start is matched to the second A+complete, duration may be too long, whereas if it is matched with the first one, it may not be too long.

Kind regards,
    Eric.

• Hi Eric, 

Thank you for the response.

In my case, however, the end of the first event does not necessarily mean the start of the second event. This is also the reason that both the start and end timestamps are necessary for me to determine the duration of the activity. I am able to determine the median, mean, and maximum duration of the activity through commercial process mining tools. However, I am not able to, for example, find traces in the log that eliminate this time constraint as you would do for checking conformance in the control-flow perspective.
  • Hi Jennifer,

Perhaps the following papers on "temporal compiance checking" could be of interest to you. It as been implemented in ProM, but I do not know the exact details of these plugins. The first paper is the official one, the second is a technical report.

Kind regards,
    Eric.

• Dear Eric,

Thank you for the information. I will have a look!