To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Standard operations on logs: getting an activity working time from events

Wiebe
edited March 2011 in - Development
Hi all,

I have a log with events containing lifecycle:transition attributes with values that adhere to the Open XES LifecycleExtension StandardModel.

Are there existing plug-ins or methods which calculate the working and waiting duration for an activity/task?
I.e. The duration from start to complete/pi_abort/ate_abort minus all suspend resume durations, for working time.

They seem like very standard operations for an activity/task in a trace. I have looked through the six packages starting with "Log" but couldn't find it so far.
Please also tell me if you know this does not exist, so I can stop searching in existing packages.

Comments

• I have asked around and as far as we know this is not implemented yet.

I would require something similar on a trace level (e.g. avg. duration, 25% fastest/slowest, etc.etc.).

If you plan to create a plug-in that calculates working/waiting time for events, could you add this information on the trace level too? Please?

Let me know when you start on this plug-in, maybe we can work together.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

I need this functionality for my current project but it should be built outside my current project and likely end up somewhere in one of the the Log packages. Could you make really sure nobody has implemented this yet?

I thought about it a little and looked at the XES extensions. Because during process execution there can be multiple instance executions of the same activities, we need a way to distinguish these instances.

For this, I saw there is the concept:instance attribute in the Concept extension. So beside concept:name the plug-in should assume the occurrence of a concept:instance attribute for all events. (And also of course lifecycle:transition and time:timestamp attributes for all events.) For the rest the plug-in should be pretty straightforward. I am not sure yet about the result type of the plug-in.

I will be in touch early next week about this, via email. After completion of the plug-in we will update this forum post.