To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

How to build a workflow process from task list(note: not from the events log) ?

I want to develop my own workflow process and want to check how different cases are mapped to the model . I want to create workflow from task(e.g. task performed by doctor), and later this model well be used to check if the actions(or behavior) performed by the doctor is valid or not.

I am doing this for my Masters Research/Thesis Program at East Carolina University, USA.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you 

Answers

• I think you are looking for process model simulation (search the forums), and then conformance checking (again, search the forums).
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi bigyan,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to design (not discover) a process model based on a list of tasks and then check conformance. For the former part, you can get some domain knowledge from the scenario to identify the relations between tasks, e.g., sequencial/parallel relations and then desin the model manually. For the latter part, you can transform your cases into a XES log and use corresponding plugins in ProM.
    Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thank you @kfgz087. You absolutely understood my question.
    I have developed all the task relations, but i could not figure out where/how to draw this process model manually.
    It would be great if i can get little help on that.
    Thank you again.
  • kfgz087
    edited December 2017

A possible approach is modeling your process using Petri nets. Your can refer to this paper "The Application of Petri Nets to Workflow Management" for theoretical details and use the software WoPeD to design a conceret Petri net.

Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thank you @kfgz087 for your kind help.
    I also found another approach, drawing BPMN model and convert it to Petri net.
    I will try and see how it goes.
    Thank you again.

• Hi @kfgz087
    I am able to draw process model manually. The following is a sample petri net workflow. I used WoPeD tool to draw. And also i am able to import it in ProM tool.

Now, i need to create test cases, and check if the cases fit into model or not. Earlier you mentioned to create a xes file and use proper plugin.
    Can you please help me in this. I am really stuck. i am not sure how to create those cases and wich plugin to use.
    Based on the above model, i want to create cases and check the conformance with the model.
    Thank you so much. Thank you again.

Regards
    Bigyan (East Carolina University,USA)
  • If you generate cases based on the petri net, there is no doubt that all cases fit into the model.

Anyway, there is a lot of discussion on how to generate xes logs from a model. You can refer to some previous discussion. http://www.win.tue.nl/promforum/discussion/comment/2041/#Comment_2041