To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

ProM6 on Java 9?

When I try to run Prom6.7 on my ubuntu machine, I get this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.management/sun.management.BaseOperatingSystemImpl cannot be cast to jdk.management/com.sun.management.OperatingSystemMXBean

>java -version
java version "9.0.1"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9.0.1+11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9.0.1+11, mixed mode)

Any hints?

Answers

• hverbeek
    edited December 2017
    Dear robau,

I have the same problem on a Windows 64bit computer with Java 9.0.1. Possibly, something has changed with these classes from Java 8 to Java 9.

A work-around would be to put a copy of a JRE7 or JRE8 in the folder where you have installed ProM 6.7, and to change the scripts to use the Java as found in that JRE. Instead of "java", you would then need "jre7/bin/java" or something similar.

As far as I can see, only the ProM Package Manager uses these classes. In this Package Manager, the user can decide how much memory to make available to the VM running ProM itself. For the offered options, we check (at least, we try...) how much memory the machine has.

Unfortunately, if you have no packages installed (your case, I assume), then ProM starts the ProM Package Manager to auto-install the default packages. After this, ProM will not start the Package Manager again. So, you would only need the JRE7 or JRE8 for the first run. Unless there are more changes in Java 9 that we're not aware of, of course.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Eric.