To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Concurrency In Inductive Visual Miner

Hi,

I am finding some unusual behavior in the inductive visual miner regarding concurrency. Specifically I have a log with 4 traces, if I include all traces in the input to inductive visual miner I see a concurrency '+' node appearing in the graph. If however I use the pre-mining filter and performing mining one-by-one on the 4 traces on their own individually I do not see this concurrency appearing, to me this seems like an error unless I am interpreting the '+' symbol incorrectly?

Anyone have experience with this that could help me understand what is going on?
Colum

Comments

• Hi cfoley,

You are right that the '+' symbol means concurency. If you perform mining one-by-one on the 4 traces on their own individually, the concurrency  will disapper, which are correctly.

For instance, only if both trace "abcd" and "acbd" are observed in the input log, concurrency between b and c will be discovered. If you filter the log to remove one trace, the concurrency  will disapper.
    Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Ok so its concurrency across all traces rather than within a single trace. It was single trace concurrency that I was expecting the + symbol to represent, as in at a certain time in a single trace event b and c can happen at the same time.

• kfgz087
    edited June 2017
    As far as I know, inductive visual miner discovers concurrency based on the observed event sequences as I mentioned in last answer, rather than timestamp. In other words, although there is single trace concurrency, i.e., event b and c can happen at the same time, the concurrency cannot be discovered.
    Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • OK many thanks for your reply, this was not the behavior I had expected.
  • Inductive visual Miner can discover concurrency from single traces, if the trace contains start and completion events. For instance: from the trace <a_start, b_start, b_complete, a_complete>, IvM can discover that a and b are concurrent.

To enable this, choose in the 'miner' combobox the option 'life cycle miner (IMflc)'.
    Sander Leemans
    Assistant Processor (Lecturer) at Queensland University of Technology
    Author of the visual Miner and Inductive Miner
  • cfoley said:
    Ok so its concurrency across all traces rather than within a single trace. It was single trace concurrency that I was expecting the + symbol to represent, as in at a certain time in a single trace event b and c can happen at the same time.

This is correct: the + means that the parts (b and c) can be executed at the same time. However, to discover this, IvM needs some more information (e.g. from several traces, a repetition or start/completion events).
    Sander Leemans
  • Hi, many thanks for your reply. Is there an option I can specify that IVM should only represent concurrency within a trace rather and not across traces ? Will  'life cycle miner (IMflc)' do this?
  • If I understand it correctly, there are start and completion events in your traces and B and C are interleaved (i.e. both need to be executed, but such that they do not overlap in time). IMflc should be able to detect this (and show <-> instead of +).

Alternatively, if you have a particular construct in mind that IvM will not discover, you could manually alter the model: click 'edit model' and change the relevant 'concurrent' into 'interleaved'. That model will execute both B and C, such that they cannot overlap.
    Next, studying the deviations will reveal whether this is an appropriate construct.
    Sander Leemans