To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

ProM Installation Issues

We downloaded the ProM from the (http://www.promtools.org) and tried to install on linux machine, but we keep on getting 'No X11 DISPLAY variable was set' even we export the X11 DISPLAY variable with many options like export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0, export DISPLAY=:0..etc. but no luck. I  am also attaching the screenshot which may help you. Do you have any suggestions to resolve this issue? Please assist on this. 

Comments

• Dear vudisaimahit,

Thanks for your question.
    I asked my colleague to answer your question and I think he will reply soon.

Please let me know if you have more questions!
    Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • hello Guangming Li,
    I was able to fix the above issue,I have configured my ssh with x11 server..But the issue is that it's taking very long time for UI get loaded.Can I know reason for that .

Thank you,
    Sai Mahit.
  • Dear,

Can you start other GUI based programs in the same way as you are trying to start ProM? Does that work? Typically, you need this variable to tell Linux (or better: X) where to display the GUI that will pop up. That may be the local screen, but may also be a remote screen. If other programs also do not start, this is outside of the realm of ProM.

Are you by chance installing ProM on a remote Linux machine?

I cannot find the attached screenshot, so I cannot comment on that.

Kind regards,

Eric.
  • Hello Eric,
    Yes I am able to start other GUI based programs.I am using Orange data mining tool which works in similar fashion.
    Yes I am trying to install on Remote Linux Machine.

Thank you,
    Sai Mahit.

• Hello Eric,
    Is there any issue if I install GUI based tools on remote linux machine?

Thank you,
    Sai Mahit.
  • Dear Sai Mahit,

Yes, as this requires the DISPLAY environment variable to be set correctly. If you're running it on a local Linux system, it will by default display on the local screen, but on a remote Linux system this variable is needed to specify the screen where the output should go.

But it seems that you now got it working, be it that it takes long. My guess is that this takes long because of the X connection. Quite possibly, the remote system is sending the screen pixel by pixel or something like that to your local screen.

Is there a reason you cannot install ProM on the local machine?

Kind regards,

Eric.

• edugonza
    edited February 2017
    Sai Mahit,

I have faced similar problems before when trying to execute GUI programs on remote linux machines through an SSH connection. For some programs, the refresh of the UI is very slow. This is due to all the interaction done by the X server in order to make updates on the UI. It requires a lot of messaging that, when done through a remote connection, gets slowed down a lot. There are some tricks to improve this connection and speed it up a bit. Check this blog post:

http://xmodulo.com/how-to-speed-up-x11-forwarding-in-ssh.html

However, compressing the transfer and changing the cipher will not work miracles. In my opinion, if you want to execute something on remote with a UI, the best way to ensure speed, tolerance to failures in connection, etc is to execute remotely on an X server in the remote machine, and connect to it through VNC. If you do not want to open the VNC port to connections from the outside because of security reasons, you can always configure the VNC server to listen on localhost and connect to it through a SSH tunnel. There are plenty of guides to do this. Here is one of the many I could find:

http://www.stuartellis.name/articles/vnc-on-linux/

I hope this helped.

Kind regards,

Edu
  • Hello Eric,
    We are trying to install everything on our hadoop cluster.I also tried by setting priority, But it's still slow.
  • Hello Edu,
    Do we need to have license to start vnc on server.It would be great if we can connect and solve this issue.

Thank you,
    Sai Mahit.
  • Dear Sai Mahit,

TightVNC and TigerVNC are free and open pieces of software that implement the VNC protocol, and you do not need a license to install them.

Good luck :)

Cheers,
    Edu