To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

From Access Logs to Event Logs?

Hello,

for my masters thesis i need to answer the question how to optimize a product-lifecycle-management-system (plm) with process mining techniques in terms of its processes. im doing this in a company (lufthansa technik ag). my company supervisor wants me to do this in terms of usability, so that a click on the GUI  is an activity (so you can see things like: the enduser needed many unnecessary clicks to reach the end of the process (amongst other things)). the problem is, there are no logs of the system avaible, except of access logs from the tomcat server. these access logs are really hard to filter and to use, because any useful information is unstructed in the url and any single click results in 5-10 lines in the log. Are there any publications or information avaible how to use access logs to create event logs?

Thank you and sorry for my english

eclipzz

Comments

• Hi Eclipzz,

There has been some work, but I think each case is different, so I guess it will boil down to custom programming to combine the Tomcat lines into click-events on the right level of abstraction.

I don't think a generic approach is possible.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thank you!