To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

ProM-Lite doesn't import a Petri net

I'm doing the Peer graded assignment of the Coursera MOOC. In one question a normative model given as a Petri net has to be imported into ProM-Lite. When downloading the file behind the given link I get a file with this filename: "normativeModel.pnml.xml". ProM-Lite doesn't recognize this file as a PetriNet when trying to import it. When I delete the ".xml"-part of the filename, it doesn't work either.

I'm using ProM-Lite on a Mac (10.10.5). There also seems to be a bug: every time I try to do an import again after a failed Import attempt, ProM freezes and needs to be quit and restarted (with all previous work lost).

Any idea how to import the normativeModel in ProM properly?

Answers

• Dear Frank,

The import should work when the '.xml' part of the filename is removed.
    Do all the other algorithms work? E.g. can you use the Alpha miner to discover a Petri net?

I'll forward the issue to our main developer, we're working on it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos

Yes, the Alpha miner and other algorithms of ProM-Lite work. And no, the import of the petri net still doesn't work, after trying again to remove the '.xml' part. It looks like the import plugin isn't available, see also the attached screenshot, which shoes only plugins for BPMN 2.0 files and Log files.

Is it a bug or do I need to do something different? Maybe my installation failed to import all required plugins for ProM-Lite? If it is a bug, do you know if there's a way to complete the question in the Peer-graded assignment in the Coursera MOOC?

There's also the freezing problem after the first import (same as reported by the user 'simony' in this post from July 15: http://www.win.tue.nl/promforum/discussion/667/prom-6-import-button-only-works-once#latest)

• Dear Frank,

Thanks for coming back.

The reason I asked whether the Alpha miner etc. could produce and show Petri nets was to verify whether the Petri net package was correctly installed. Importing (should be) contained in this package.

I'll forward this issue to the developer of the Petri net package, might be something Mac specific.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thanks for forwarding the issue. Does ProM-Lite update to new bug fix releases automatically upon startup? Or do you advise that I periodically reinstall ProM-Lite to make sure that my version contains the latest fixes?

In case updates take longer: would you be able to send me a BPMN-converted version of the "normativeModel.pnml"-File? It looks like ProM-Lite on my Mac is able to import BPMN-Models (but not Petri-nets, due to the bug). With this workaround I might still complete the Honor's assignment for the Coursera MOOC in time.
  • Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delay.

ProM lite checks for updates by itself and will ask to update when it finds updates.

If the problem still persists, could you provide more information? For instance the output on the command line when starting ProM from there.
    Joos Buijs

• Thanks Joos, good to know. Problem solved in the meantime