To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Error in Step 5 following tutorial for csv to xes

tmai
edited November 2014 in - XESame
Hello,

I tried to get the XESame example running with the given example files from the tutorial here: http://www.processmining.org/xesame/examples

However the conversion fails at Step 5 with the following console message:

2014-11-03 12:52:21: (PROGRESS) Starting step 1 of 5: initialization.
2014-11-03 12:52:26: (PROGRESS) Starting step 2 of 5: Extracting log info.
2014-11-03 12:52:26: (PROGRESS) Starting step 3 of 5: Extracting traces.
2014-11-03 12:52:26: (PROGRESS) Starting step 4 of 5: Extracting Event: Generated Event.
2014-11-03 12:52:27: (PROGRESS) Starting step 5 of 5: Converting Cache DB to XES.
2014-11-03 12:52:30: (ERROR) There was an error while trying to convert the cache database to an XES file.
2014-11-03 12:52:30: (ERROR) org.deckfour.xes.model.impl.XTraceImpl cannot be cast to org.deckfour.xes.model.buffered.XTraceBufferedImpl
2014-11-03 12:52:30: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! We were busy creating an XES file from the cache database.
2014-11-03 12:52:30: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated

Steps to reproduce:

1) Fresh Windows 7 32bit system (with upgrades)
2) Install Java 7 (current version 1.7.0_71)
3) Start ODBC with admin priviledges
4) Set up ODBC connection as described in the tutorial (connection test button in XESame yields success)
5) Use default settings and execute conversion

I did try this on several machines, also with Win 8 64bit systems. Changing random settings did not seem to help. The path to the cacheDB and and the output location seem to be stuck at the defaults (I managed so alter one of them once, but haven't found a pattern how to do so).

Is this behaviour a bug or is there anything else I can try to get the example running?

Regards
Tobias

Answers

• I have the exact same problem. Any solution will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Hi Tobias and 'Stark',

This indeed seems to be a bug caused by the removal of the buffered implementation from XES(which I was not aware of).

Unfortunately, this is a really busy time for me (with the process mining MOOC on Coursera and all). But I'll create a track ticket for myself and let you know when/if I solved it.

Thanks for your reports and interest in XESame!!!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos!

I'm in the same boat.  I'd like to volunteer to help in any way I can, beta testing, documentation, etc.  I just finished the Coursera Process Mining class, and I've generated quite a bit of interest in it at work!  I've had very sporadic results converting semicolon-delimited files to XES through ProM and I'm hoping XES will be something I can use to start really doing some serious work.

Please let me know how I can help.

Cheers,

-Matthew

• Hi, i can contribute too, if I can, I can program in Java at a junior level.

• Hi Matthew and Maria,

Thanks for your assistance to help!

I think the best way to contribute is to report bugs (and if possible also fixes), write documentation, and ask/answer questions here on the ProM forum.

There is no fixed way, just see how you can assist, and if necessary we will help you in any way we can.

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Dear all,

I managed to fix this issue. To get the fixed XESame, download and extract this ZIP file:

http://svishudson.win.tue.nl:8080/job/XESame/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/*zip*/archive.zip

You can extract it to a new folder and run XESame, or replace the existing XESame and /lib/ files of your ProM 6.4.1. install.

Please let me know if you encounter any further issues.

Joos Buijs

• Hello Joos,  

I have encountered the same error message using the example files after step 5.  
    I have copied your fix from the zip to the /lib folder and the two other files in dist folder to \prom-6.4.1 folder (I hope this is correct?).  

The error message is slightly different, but result the same.

2015-02-21 21:36:05: (PROGRESS) Starting step 5 of 5: Converting Cache DB to XES.2015-02-21 21:36:06: (ERROR) There was an error while trying to convert the cache database to an XES file.2015-02-21 21:36:06: (ERROR) org.deckfour.xes.model.impl.XTraceImpl cannot be cast to org.deckfour.xes.model.buffered.XTraceBufferedImpl2015-02-21 21:36:06: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! We were busy creating an XES file from the cache database.2015-02-21 21:36:06: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated. 

I hope this helps you to find a solution.

kind regards,
    Eddy

• I also had the same error message "(ERROR) org.deckfour.xes.model.impl.XTraceImpl cannot be cast to org.deckfour.xes.model.buffered.XTraceBufferedImpl". I have also copied the fix from the zip to the /lib and the other two files in to \prom-6.4.1.

I also received the same error that Eddy encountered. This is what I receive when selecting Debug mode in the console:

22015-02-23 20:50:57: (PROGRESS) Starting step 1 of 5: initialization.
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (PROGRESS) Starting step 2 of 5: Extracting log info.
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (DEBUG) We are about to run the following query to extract the items for Log:
    SELECT 'TestLog' AS [concept_name], NOW() AS [Generation_Details], 'Joos Buijs' AS [Generation_Details_Author] FROM events.csv AS events 
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (PROGRESS) Starting step 3 of 5: Extracting traces.
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (DEBUG) We are about to run the following query to extract the items for Trace:
    SELECT DISTINCT orderID AS [traceID] FROM events.csv AS events 
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (PROGRESS) Starting step 4 of 5: Extracting Event: Generated Event.
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (DEBUG) We are about to run the following query to detect the traceID type: SELECT orderID FROM events.csv AS events  INNER JOIN users.csv AS users ON users.userID = events.userID  WHERE orderID LIKE '123456ABCDEFG'
    2015-02-23 20:51:00: (DEBUG) We are about to run the following query to extract the items for Event: Generated Event:
    SELECT orderID AS [traceID], '0' AS [orderAttribute], eventname AS [concept_name], eventtype AS [lifecycle_transition], users.usergroup AS [org_group], users.username AS [org_resource], users.userrole AS [org_role], timestamp AS [time_timestamp], eventname  AS [Substr_test] FROM events.csv AS events  INNER JOIN users.csv AS users ON users.userID = events.userID  WHERE (orderID IN (3, 2, 1, 123))
    2015-02-23 20:51:02: (PROGRESS) Starting step 5 of 5: Converting Cache DB to XES.
    2015-02-23 20:51:03: (ERROR) There was an error while trying to convert the cache database to an XES file.
    2015-02-23 20:51:03: (ERROR) org.deckfour.xes.model.impl.XTraceImpl cannot be cast to org.deckfour.xes.model.buffered.XTraceBufferedImpl
    2015-02-23 20:51:03: (WARNING) Cancelling execution! We were busy creating an XES file from the cache database.
    2015-02-23 20:51:03: (NOTICE) Execution safely terminated

Not being able to convert CSV to XES is currently stopping me from starting a process mining initiative. Is there a workaround? Is there a simple to use open source / free tool to convert csv to XES? Is it easier to extract the XES directly from a database - say MS SQL Server? Would XESame work in that case?

Thanks for any insights.

• Yes, the same error for me :( I am also waiting for the fix in order to start some analysis on a bigger set of data...

• Is this problem only on windows machines - or affecting all platforms?

• I work on windows. Haven't tried on smth else.

• I tried to run the order demo example 

1. First I got the problem with 64bit windows and 32 bit drivers - fixed that

2. Then, there was the problem with Java 1.8.. switched to 1.7

3. Then, was getting the same error (ERROR) There was an error while trying to convert the cache database to an XES file. Used the updated jar file shared by Joos. I edited the .bat file to use the XeSame.jar instead of the old XeSame141.jar ( Is that the correct way to do this ?)

4. After running XeSame with updated jar, I dont' get any error but it gets stuck at line 6. with no debug messages for a long time. Is this expected - how long do I have to wait for the conversion to happen ?

Please find attached the screenshot. Would appreciate a lot if someone could help me. Excited about the opportunity provided by process mining and I am following MOOC as well. Will search the coursera forums also for a solution. 

Thanks,

Chandrasekhar.

• Hi Chandrasekhar,

I don't have a solution, unfortunately, but I was wondering if you might be able to explain in more depth exactly what you did to replace the old files with the ones Joos uploaded?  I would greatly appreciate it, as I am a little confused.
    Cheers,Ben

• Ben, 

In the prom installation folder, there is a file XESame141.bat with the below contents:

java -classpath XESame-1.1BETA_DEV-20150317.jar org.processmining.mapper.ui.MainFrame

I changed this to refer to the updated .jar file that was available in one of the previous posts by Joos. 

java -classpath XESame.jar org.processmining.mapper.ui.MainFrame

Cheers

• I had most of the same issues getting XESame to import a csv file as others, eventually getting

(ERROR) org.deckfour.xes.model.impl.XTraceImpl cannot be cast to org.deckfour.xes.model.buffered.XTraceBufferedImpl

I am running 64 bit Windows 7.

My solution was to extract the new zip at

http://svishudson.win.tue.nl:8080/job/XESame/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/*zip*/archive.zip

into a new directory and run XESame from a batch file, specifying XESame.jar and lib\* in the classpath, like 

java -classpath "XESame.jar;..\lib\*" org.processmining.mapper.ui.MainFrame

Copying the jar files from the lib folder of the archive zip into the prom-6.4.1 lib folder and editing the batch file to use the new XESame jar would cause the above error.  All other issues were solved by

-          Installing and using Java 1.7, as 1.8 fails.

-          Installing the 64 bit odbc ms access drivers, AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe, from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255.  You might need to uninstall 32 bit MS Office applications first. 

• Thanks a lot LJames! it worked for me by using the batch file with the command you specified in your comment. :)

Cheers

• Was able to run it once, but again started facing trouble. Now getting the below error at step 6. Any idea what might be causing it ?

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/mapdb/DBMaker

at org.processmining.xeslite.external.MapDBDatabase.getDB(MapDBDatabase.java:70)        at org.processmining.xeslite.external.MapDBStore$Builder.build(MapDBStore.java:72)        at org.processmining.xeslite.external.XFactoryExternalStore$MapDBDiskImpl.<init>(XFactoryExternalStore.java:110)        at org.processmining.xeslite.external.XFactoryExternalStore$MapDBDiskImpl.<init>(XFactoryExternalStore.java:101)        at org.processmining.xeslite.external.XFactoryExternalStore$MapDBDiskSequentialAccessImpl.<init>(XFactoryExternalStore.java:175)        at org.processmining.mapper.controller.ExecutionController.convertDBtoXES(ExecutionController.java:1504)        at org.processmining.mapper.controller.ExecutionController.run(ExecutionController.java:692)        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mapdb.DBMaker        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)... 8 more

• Dear 'kchandubhai',

XESame uses some external libraries, including MapDB.

The solution would be to also extract these and put them in the /lib/ folder such that XESame can find them.

Joos Buijs

• Hello Joos,

I have the same problem as "kchandubha".

Using the latest build as mentioned in the post from LJames, including the lib directory with the mapdb-1.0.5.jar library I still get the java error.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Hello, can you please update the link http://svishudson.win.tue.nl:8080/job/XESame/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/*zip*/archive.zip ? I can't access it anymore.

Thanks!

• Dear Maria,

My recommendation would be to download and install ProM 6.5.1 which includes XESame 1.5.1 which fixes this (and other) bug(s).

Hope this helps you get XESame running again!

Joos Buijs

• Yes, it's working fine, have a nice day!