To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Finding the bottleneck

Sergei
edited January 2014 in - Usage
Hello!

I am trying to use ProM for analyzing some workflow with many kinds of events. Each event represents an end of the exact process step. How can I obtain time measurements which can help me to understand where is the bottleneck and Which steps are taking more time in average?

Answers

• All sort of advices are welcome!

Thank you!
  • Dear Sergei,

Assuming your event log has timestamps for each event, and your workflow is a Petri net you can use the analysis provided in the PNetReplayer package.
    You will find a plug-in "Replay a Log on Petri Net for Performance/Conformance". Once you have executed this plug-in, in the top right there is a drop-down box that allows you to look at the performance aspect.

Good luck!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thank you, dear Joos!

Another question - Is it important which miner do I use to get the Petri net from the log?
    And can you please explain me essentials of using patterns and transition classes in a plugin settings?
  • To briefly answer your questions:

Yes, it is very important which algorithm you use to discover your process model. Every algorithm has a different approach, and deals differently with noise and (in)completeness. Please have a look at the process mining book and related publications.
    An algorithm I can recommend if your event log is not too complicated is the Inductive Miner by Leemans et al.

The latter question can best be answered by referring you to the documentation at
    https://svn.win.tue.nl/trac/prom/browser/Documentation/PNetAlignmentAnalysisPackageDocumentation

Hope this helps!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology